[ic] Questions about Interchange

Rick Bragg lists at gmnet.net
Thu Feb 18 21:57:04 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 11:18 -0600, Todd W. White wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Our company manufactures and sells items that are of various sizes and
> weights. We also sell internationally.
>
> When we ship, be it via UPS, FedEx, or USPS, the carriers always want
> to know several things in order to give us an accurate shipping quote
> to our customers.
>
> They usually want to know:
>
> * The shipping weight of the item.
> * The dimensions of the box it is being shipped in.
> * The destination of the package.
> * How many packages are going to that address.
> * The value of the shipment.
> * If we want to insure the shipment.
>
> For international shipments, the carriers also calculate the customs
> charges, if any, to the particular country the shipment is going to.
>
> What I would like to know is:
>
> 1. Is your program configured to handle the type of data we would need
> to give it so that it can accurately calculate shipping for people who
> are buying items from our webstore?

Shipping can be totally customized, Keep in mind however, it is hard to
determine how there "cart" will look in reality.  i.e. (using a bikeshop
as an example) someone can order a whole bunch of parts and some tools
and maybe it would all fit on one box;  Another person may order some
fenders, wheels, and a couple of frames where each item is it's own
package...  It's best to try to find a happy medium.  I have programmed
a system that bases shipping on weight, and adds additional costs for
special items like wheels.

> 2. If not, can it be configured to do so, and what would that cost?

Pretty much anything can be done with Interchange, cost depends on your
developers.  Are you currently working with someone now? If not, you can
put out a request on the "Interchange-biz" mailing list. I'm also
looking for work (shameless plug ;)

> 3. Can it be setup to accept payments through PayPal?

There is a paypal module available in the git tree under
lib/Vend/Payment/.  Documentation for it is inside the module itself.

> 4. We already accept credit cards - with your program, is it possible
> to continue to do this in-house so that we do not have to pay someone
> like authorize.net to do it?

You "can" do it via pgp encryption, however, I would highly suggest to
use a gateway service like authorize.net.  You can ask your bank for
other "gateway" solutions.  Again, look in /lib/Vend/Payment/ for
gateway services that are already to go.

> 5. Does Interchange have templates we can use to customize our store,
> or do we supply that?

That depends on your store.  If it was built on top of "standard" then
you can edit catroot/variable/THEME_CSS and also include/layout/... and
templates/components/... also in pages/... at the top an bottom of each
page, there are settings for what template, and what components are used
on each page.