[ic] USPS PARCEL shipping minimum

Glenn McCalley glenn at bnetmd.net
Sat Mar 6 00:34:12 UTC 2010

'evening.
Brought up USPS "PARCEL" shipping OK, but very light items -- like a weight
of .01 -- cause an error from the USPS server "Please enter parcel weight".
These are bumper stickers, lapel pins, buttons etc.  We have to have -some-
weight to trigger a minimum shipping charge but very small so one of these
together with something with some weight to it doesn't cause shipping to
jump $5.00 or something wild.

Problem is it seems USPS requires a minimum weight for PARCEL.  I read
elsewhere that figure is 6 oz.

Would if be safe to modify usps_query.tag such that
if ($weight == 0 && $ounces < 6) { $ounces = 6;}

I believe that would get minimum shipping while not interfering with larger
weights.  OR, if there is something I missed in the config that would be OK
as well...

Thanks,
Glenn.