[ic] Advice on learning Interchange?

Scott Martin smartin at steamvalve.com
Wed Mar 17 18:11:17 UTC 2010

----------------original message-----------------
From: "Marty Tennison" marty at dripdepot.com
To: interchange-users at icdevgroup.org
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:33:13 -0700

> On Wednesday 17 March 2010 09:53:12 am Greg Hanson wrote:
> [snip]
>> > Before giving up and moving on, I wanted to ask if there are any people
>> > on this list who managed to learn how to use Interchange on their own,
>> > and if so, how did you go about it?
>
> I've been using Interchange for about 8 years now and I LOVE it. I'm a
> weekend Perl hacker (at best) and honestly, Interchange was a real
challenge
> to learn. And I still think I understand interchange about 50% of what's
> there.
>
> I learned Interchange by just installing and trying to figure out one new
thing
> a day. I had the luxury of not having a drop dead "go live" date, if I
did,
> yes, the learning curve would not have been as enjoyable.
>
> The documentation may look sparse at first but there is a surprising
amount of
> good info in there. (I think I have read the shipping docs over 100
times).
> Realizing that the docs where written by the gurus who do the heavy
lifting,
> I'm exceedingly grateful to have any docs to read rather than just source
> code.
>
> Overall if I had to do it again I would still choose Interchange. It's a
nice
> package.

I second the above! (except I am no perl hacker or guru)
 I have been using it on or off for approx 7-8 years. If you can get the
standard store (aka Foundation) working. Then messing around with it while
reading docs, asking questions to the mail list, using the demo store on
icdevgroup.org to try different things out and seeing the results. Also when
you get totally befuddled, there are consultants to guide you thru the rest
of the way.

Scott M