[ic] Upgrade to Interchange-5.7.4 performance issues

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Tue Mar 23 20:17:56 UTC 2010

On 24/03/10 03:07, Bill Carr wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2010, at 4:11 PM, Peter wrote:
>
>> From the looks of it, you're using your system perl which is
>> 5.10.1.  If this is a threaded perl it could explain some of the
>> slowdown.  Can you try compiling your own perl 5.8.9 and see how it
>> works out?  There's some directions at:
>> http://cloud.github.com/downloads/pajamian/stuff/Rackspace_Interchange_Setup.html
>>

>> Scroll down to "Section 10: Compiling Your own Perl".
> I don't think this perl is threaded:
>
> Could 5.8.9 make a difference or do you just want to make sure my
> perl is not threaded? I think I'm using some features that are only
> available in > 5.10.

It's possible.  There are some known issues with regexps and utf8,
although that should be largely mitigated by setting the
MINIVEND_DISABLE_UTF8 environment variable it is still possible that
you'd be seeing some slowdown from this.  I would recommend trying it
with 5.8.9 just to eliminate that as a possibility.

Peter