[ic] [interchange] Add numeric ordercheck

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Thu Mar 25 16:19:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010, Mike Heins wrote:

> Hmm. This is no definition of numeric I know of.
>
> If it is for a SQL purpose, perhaps. I don't know enough to check that.
> I will tell you MySQL and Postgres both accept +1, 1. and .1 just fine,
> as does Perl.

Yes, we considered those but decided to make the check restrictive at
least to start with. We can loosen it up if needed.

The idea was that if validating a numeric entry from a customer, 1. is
almost certainly missing something, +1 is not likely intentional, and .1
we were on the fence about -- some cases it might be intentional, other
times a mistake.

> I think perhaps I would prefer:
>
> 	use Scalar::Util qw/looks_like_number/;

I could see using that. Ton, what do you think?

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation