[ic] more list

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Fri Mar 26 17:30:52 UTC 2010

Quoting Frank Reitzenstein (frank at aussievitamin.com):
> On 3/27/2010 1:39 AM, Mike Heins wrote:
> > Quoting Frank Reitzenstein (frank at aussievitamin.com):

> >> [more-list] templates are not google friendly.
> >>
> >> I use static pages with content and list items on that:
> >>
> >> http://www.aussievitamin.com/shop/aussievitamin/couleur-caramel.html
> >>
> > Yes, we all do that, for SEO reasons.
> >

> >> We plan to do better, but packing and ordering is my main occupation
> >> nowadays.
> >>
> > There's no reason we can't make them more friendly. Would this
> > type of work?
> >
> >     http://www.aussievitamin.com/shop/pager/MM/Xw399awaqa/1/30/100.html
> >
> > Then we just write a "pager" ActionMap which rearranges the components
> > of the path.
> >

> Mike,
>
> Not for me.
>
> The makeup page was an exception. On a typical page only www and com are
> not keywords:
>
> http://www.aussievitamin.com/allergies.html
>
> (After a few scripts in the httpd.conf to remove your /cgi-bin/)
>
> We might omit the www too on future sites, use hyphens and not use the
> meaningless keyword aussie.
>
> But yes if you can stop those pages that expire, but which google will
> spider that IS a good thing. I think we may have tried to block them in
> robots.txt.
>
> If the generated pages 2..3.. are not linked from home they are in
> danger of being orphaned by google. Too deep and google behave as if
> they don't have the resources.
>
> Remember no more than 100 links per page? The common navigation (eg left
> hand and top) on each page is likely to be 50 links. So you can only
> really splash 50 links dynamically, which makes the more list on the
> foundation store unattractive, because it breaks the rules by it's very
> design. Nor can you keep linking pages 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 to the
> home page for the same reason. Nor is reducing displayed product to 25
> necessary or desirable.
>
> Is this just theory? Well no we had 100s of links (product lists) on
> some pages and sales increased when we applied these rules. We removed a
> lot of products from view. By the laws of statistics more products =
> more sales, but not so if you clutter your site or display too far from
> home.
>
> This was last year and we heard about the rules years ago.
>
> But hey that's just what we do. Google hates shopping carts, China and
> Yahoo! There are other factors like how many external links, so others
> may think differently.

I understand the SEO issues. We shoot for mappable actions as well,
because we know having the word in the URL makes a big difference.
Those have to be your search-engine placement priorites.

Still, it's nice to have the ability to have searches be valid when
they are linked to.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.765.328.4479  <mike at perusion.com>