[ic] Iterations slow with mv_matchlimit incrementations

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 19:20:09 UTC 2010

> I have a somewhat complex chunk of IC code about 500 lines long.  If I
> set the mv_matchlimit of the main loop to a small number, each
> iteration takes less than a second to execute.  However, as I increase
> the mv_matchlimit, each iteration takes longer to execute until it's
> quite slow.  I've been over my code again and again but I can't find a
> cause for this behavior.  The only clue I have is that each iteration
> executes much faster when the loop is almost done with all of its
> iterations.
>
> I'm wondering if the problem is "under the hood" of IC.  Does this
> scenario ring a bell for anyone?
>
> Thanks,
> Grant

Everyone was very kind to help me with this problem about 18 months
ago, but I was never able to figure out what was going on.  I've since
rewritten the aforementioned chunk of IC code using includes instead
of dumping everything on the same page.  The problem seems to have
disappeared.  A single iteration of the outside loop takes about 8
seconds whether I specify ml=50 or ml=1000.  Does anyone know why
switching to includes made the difference?

- Grant