[ic] Discount Specifications

Paul Jordan paul at gishnetwork.com
Mon Nov 22 10:20:25 UTC 2010

 > From: peter at pajamian.dhs.org
> On 22/11/10 19:49, Rick Bragg wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 09:16 -0800, Marty Tennison wrote:
> >> Starting a new thread for discount specs....
> >>
> >> I just got done implementing this in our system so it's fresh in my mind. If
> >> this is something anyone is interested in I'll be happy to elaborate and/or
> >> collaborate on the spec and share my experiences.
> >>
> >> ================================================================
> >>
> >> Discounts have 3 major parts.
> >> 1) Discounts
> >> 2) Rules
> >> 3) Actions
> >>

> >> DISCOUNTS:
> >> Discounts have one or more rules.
> >> Discounts have one or more actions.
> >> Discounts can be active or inactive
>
> Great idea
>
> >> DISCOUNT_ACTIONS:
> >> Actions have a type, operator and value
> >> Action types are actually modules (subs) that can be plugged in as new actions
> >> are needed
> >> Action types: (ideas)
> >> 1) Percentage of subtotal
> >> 2) Fixed amount
> >> 3) Free Shipping
> >> 4) Discount sku by fixed amount
> >> 5) Discount sku by percentage
> >> 6) Discount sku by (amt * qty)
> >> 7) Display message
> >> 8) Log something
> >> 9) Deactivate discount (make discount a single use coupon)
> >> Action Operator:
> >> 1) (only used to enter SKU if needed for item 4,5,6 above)
> >> Action Values:
> >> <user defined input> ie: .65, 5 etc...
>
> percentage and fixed amounts can be combined into a single action. I
> usually just use the % character at the end of the amount to
> differentiate, and I do something like this to normalize it:
>
> if ($amount =~ s/%$//) {
> $amount = $price * $amount / 100;
> }
>
> Of course there are also ways to make this infinitely more complex, with
> sales such as, "buy two t-shirts (could be any of 50 distinct t-shirt
> skus) and get a free cap", or even, "get this perfume set for only $10
> with your order of $100 or more" (what do you do if the perfume set is
> not in the cart, do you add it automatically, prompt the customer, or
> discard the discount?), etc.

Automatically put something that is not free in their cart? ZOINKS! Naaaa, I know what you saying :-)

Our system has these kind of deals, and invariably the best thing to do is keep the customer informed. Like I mentioned, we have this perpetual deal so the cart is always egging the customer to buy more... just a little bit more and you can get this too! or, now you qualify for...

I've been meaning to reply to Marty's thread when I get more time. I should have time on Friday to add something meaningful to this.

Paul