[ic] Discount Specifications

Rick Bragg lists at gmnet.net
Thu Nov 25 02:45:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 02:20 -0800, Paul Jordan wrote:

>  > From: peter at pajamian.dhs.org

> my mind. If
> elaborate and/or

> > Great idea

> as new actions
> >
> > percentage and fixed amounts can be combined into a single action. I
> > usually just use the % character at the end of the amount to
> > differentiate, and I do something like this to normalize it:
> >
> > if ($amount =~ s/%$//) {
> > $amount = $price * $amount / 100;
> > }
> >
> > Of course there are also ways to make this infinitely more complex,
> with
> > sales such as, "buy two t-shirts (could be any of 50 distinct
> t-shirt
> > skus) and get a free cap", or even, "get this perfume set for only
> $10
> > with your order of $100 or more" (what do you do if the perfume set
> is
> > not in the cart, do you add it automatically, prompt the customer,
> or
> > discard the discount?), etc.
>
> Automatically put something that is not free in their cart? ZOINKS!
> Naaaa, I know what you saying :-)
>
> Our system has these kind of deals, and invariably the best thing to
> do is keep the customer informed. Like I mentioned, we have this
> perpetual deal so the cart is always egging the customer to buy
> more... just a little bit more and you can get this too! or, now you
> qualify for...
>
> I've been meaning to reply to Marty's thread when I get more time. I
> should have time on Friday to add something meaningful to this.
>
> Paul

I agree, don't do anything to surprise a customer in any way at all!
They will run away.  Auto-anything on behalf of the customer is just a
bad idea.  However, certainly give them all the cross-selling and
up-selling that you possibly can.  Just make sure all these kinds of
links are no-follow so as not to dilute your g-uice!

rick