[ic] Possible to encrypt customer email with their key?

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Fri Apr 29 13:43:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011, j wrote:

> Is it possible to add the customer's key during checkout to send them their
> receipt GPG encrypted?
> Anybody tried this?

I've never heard of anyone doing this in any ecommerce system before, but
it should be a Simple Matter of Programming. :)

Perhaps something to be concerned about is that GnuPG expects to import
keys to a keyring and keep them around forever, and I don't know how well
it does with thousands or tens of thousands of keys. I guess you could
remove the key from the keyring right after encrypting, if the large
number of keys became a problem.

Although I have to wonder if an ecommerce site would get very many orders
from customers providing their PGP public key, so maybe the keyring would
never get very big after all. :)

Jon

--
Jon Jensen