[ic] Filter not working after Perl reinstall

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Tue Aug 30 19:29:31 UTC 2011

On 31/08/11 05:27, Bill Carr wrote:
> After apt-get replaced my non-threaded perl on my Debian box I
> reinstalled perl ...

And thus is the crux of the problem.  You have compiled and built a new
perl right on top of your system perl which (1) can mess up system
scripts that rely on perl (2) causes system-supplied modules to
supplement and overwrite your compiled perl (which could be incompatible
with your compiled perl, thus causing unpredicatable side-effects) and
(3) causes problems with your system overwriting your compiled perl when
there is an update (which you just experienced).

You should never do this, instead install your compiled perl in a
different location such as /usr/local/perl or /opt/perl (I like to
install it into /usr/local/perl-version).  This way you can access and
use your compiled perl independently of your system perl and you avoid
all of the above problems.

Peter