[ic] StartServers and MaxServers

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Fri Dec 16 18:41:44 UTC 2011

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011, Peter wrote:

> I recall hearing that MaxServers should be set at (or left at) 0 for
> stability reasons.  Can someone elaborate on that to refresh my memory?
> The issue is that StartServers cannot be set higher than 150 and if
> MaxServers is 0 then IC can't have more servers than that, period.  I'm
> finding some high traffic times when it is desirable to have 200 or more
> children running to handle the traffic.

IIRC it was due to the Perl signals problem. Anything other than 0 for
MaxServers causes odd failures in PreFork mode.

If you want more than 150 child processes, I'd say just raise the
artificial limit on StartServers in the core. It made sense when it was
written, but 10+ years later there's hardware that can handle that.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation