[ic] Add/update large number of products

Sam Batschelet sam at westbranchresort.com
Fri Jan 7 14:14:33 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "DB" <DB at M-and-D.com>
To: interchange-users at icdevgroup.org
Sent: Friday, January 7, 2011 9:01:45 AM
Subject: [ic] Add/update large number of products

I often need to add or update many thousands of items at a time to my
products table. Mostly I use the Import feature from the admin area, but
if the file I'm importing is large enough I can run into server timeouts
before the upload completes. To solve this I've chopped the file into
several pieces, but that's kind of a pain. I've also added products
directly using mysql.

Is there an easy way to tell the admin's Import feature to look for a
file that's local to the server? Is there a better way to handle this
that I've not tried?

DB

I would guess there are many ways of doing this I use a nice little program called Navicat allows me to do all kinds of updates direct to mysql/postgres its not free exactly but imo worth the money, another might be phpmyadmin same idea and free.  This will make you better in touch with the db structure and help you move away from admin a little.  I use admin gui for quick item changes and order information.  But to each his/her own.

-Sam