[ic] Reason for Upgrading to 5.6 or 5.5

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Thu Jan 20 02:50:39 UTC 2011

On 20/01/11 11:21, Nikola Lazic wrote:
> We have a site running Interchange 5.4.0. I have seen that there have been
> some security patches which would make it worth upgrading to 5.4.5, so we
> will be doing that.
>
> I was wondering whether there are _compelling_ reasons for upgrading to 5.5
> or 5.6. Are there any performance improvements or bug fixes that I should be
> aware of that would be beneficial for a 2K-product store with not much
> traffic.
>
> I have just recently started maintaining our store, so I don't know much
> about the functionality, but it seems to be modified very little from the
> standard catalog install.

That will make it easier for you.  I would recommend that you just
upgrade to 5.4.5 unless you need some of the newer functionality of
Interchange.  Make sure that you read the UPGRADE file, especially the
section on "REMOTE SEARCHING" when you do the upgrade, it has important
information that you need to know.

If you choose to upgrade to a newer version then I recommend that you
either upgrade to 5.6 or the latest (5.7.6).  5.5 is a development
version and is old, so don't upgrade to that.  You shouldn't have many
more problems upgrading to a newer version just make sure you read and
follow the UPGRADE file.

Also you should note that if you (or your predecessor) has made any
changes to the Interchange core, then these will be overwritten in the
upgrade.  We always recommend against users making core changes for this
reason but many do anyways and it causes problems down the road when you
do an upgrade.

Peter