[ic] catalog working, no admin/login, unable to checkout

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Fri Sep 2 22:33:05 UTC 2011

On 03/09/11 02:59, IC Support wrote:
> And this is what has heppened since my last email. I tried configuring and
> running make and make test as root. You are saying that I WAS doing it
> correctly (running make test as curt), so this may all be moot.
>
> # cd perl-5.12.4
> # ./Configure -des -Dprefix=/usr/local/perl-5.12.4
> # make
> # make test
> # make install
> # cd /usr/local
> # sudo ln -s perl-5.12.4 perl
>
> This got me through make test and the install error free. I got through
> Text-Query issues and finished the perl install,

Right, this makes sense since the test was failing on a permissions
error running it as root would likely bypass the problem.  I'm still not
sure what the actual issue was but it doesn't look very serious to me.
What concerns me is that I'm unable to reproduce it.

> however, when I do:
>
> /usr/bin/perl -v
> This is perl, v5.8.8 built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi
>
> This perl was built by DirectAdmin when they setup my new VPS

Actually, that's the system perl.

> however, /usr/local/bin/perl
> This is perl, v5.10.0 built for x86_64-linux-v
>
> This is a version I tried as root (which you once questioned my choice of
> version), it won't go away, how can I get it out of there? Do I just remove
> /usr/local/bin/perl? Again, maybe I should not be doing this as root.

I think you can go into the build directory where you built that
particular perl and do: make uninstall

The 5.12.4 perl you just built will be at /usr/local/perl-5.12.4/bin/perl.

> whereis perl
> perl: /usr/src/perl-5.12.4/perl.c /usr/src/perl-5.12.4/perl.h
> /usr/src/perl-5.12.4/perl.o /usr/src/perl-5.12.4/perl /usr/bin/perl
> /usr/local/bin/perl /usr/local/perl /usr/share/man/man1/perl.1.gz

Right, it won't show up on whereis because it's not in your path.  You
can either symlink the perl binary to someplace in your path or just
call it with an absolute path, ie:
/usr/local/perl-5.12.4/bin/perl --version

Really it is probably best to leave that perl out of the path so it
doesn't interfere with your system perl.

Peter