[ic] Braintree Payment Gateway

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 16:03:39 UTC 2011

>>> I just wanted to let everyone know that the Braintree Payment Gateway
>>> system finally has a Perl API
>>> http://www.braintreepayments.com/docs/perl
>>>
>>> I know a few people were wanting/waiting/pining for this.

Piner here.  This is great news!

>> Braintree does appear to have a refreshingly simple fee structure
>> comapred to most merchant acct providers. Perhaps those interested could

I've been doing business with them for awhile via Authorize.net and
they've been great.  Refreshing, exactly.

>> together hire someone like Lyn or Mike to cook up an IC payment module.
>> I'd likely be willing to contribute, but I have no idea how to
>> coordinate the pledge/contribution details.

I can contribute too.  The example looks dead simple:

http://www.braintreepayments.com/docs/perl

> Or even better do a Business::OnlinePayment module, which can be used
> by every Perl application, including Interchange 5 and 6.

Here's what Dan Manges had to say about Business::OnlinePayment:

"I took a look at Business::OnlinePayment. It looks similar to
ActiveMerchant in Ruby. One problem we had with ActiveMerchant was
that because it has a consistent interface across all payment
gateways, it has to simplify the interface to something that works for
all gateways. This ends up losing some of the richness of our API. So
what we did in Ruby was develop a standalone Braintree library, and
then create an ActiveMerchant wrapper around it to implement the
ActiveMerchant interface."

- Grant