[ic] Interchange 6: Status report and roadmap

Stefan Hornburg (Racke) racke at linuxia.de
Tue Sep 27 14:16:42 UTC 2011

On 09/27/2011 02:10 PM, Paul Jordan wrote:

>>> That's just a start, so the following steps are:
>>>
>>> * Carts and wishlists from the database
>>> * Remove single item from cart
>>> * Checkout procedure
>>> * Documentation on recommended database structure
>>>

>> I would like to add Category&  Navigation structure, which will roughly based on the
>> tables we are using for WellWell:
>>
>> http://git.icdevgroup.org/?p=wellwell.git;a=tree;f=database/pgsql
>>
>> categories
>> product_categories
>> menus
>>
>> Maybe we should merge categories and menus, what do you think?
>

> I don't use any of that from Standard, nor will in the new IC so I don't know if what I am saying holds true to the actual data and how it is used. I glanced at it and it looks very similar.

Standard doesn't really have a well thought navigation concept.

> I would agree with Racke that as an efficient end solution, it is a better concept to store things like menus and categories into conformed "views" or "relationships" table(s). However, well-integrated structures can probably be more formidable for new people to grasp and "hack".
 > The more one thing is tied to another increases the intimacy you need to have before you can create change.

I suppose I'll go for a "navigation" table, which combines categories, menus and related things like views by tags etc.

Also think about meta description, page title and other stuff which is related to categories and menus, this would appear
in this table as well.

Question: what is most common name for the link/url/page in this navigation table:

page
link
url
uri
*something else*

> So as the developer for a store, I would say great. But as the developer of many other apps, I'd say it may have made things harder for me when I was new.
 > Seasoned devleopers can work with it, but is a demo being built for the seasoned developer?

Newbies just scratch the surface when making changes, and we can alleviate that with good documentation.

Regards
	Racke

Interchange Development Team