[ic] "Interchange 6"? Really?

Stefan Hornburg (Racke) racke at linuxia.de
Thu Sep 29 13:33:05 UTC 2011

On 09/28/2011 01:42 AM, Paul Jordan wrote:
>>> Am I the only one that finds a bit...I don't know...misleading?
>> * the knowhow
>> * the community
>> * ideas
>> * concepts
>> The fact is, IC hasn't had "idea" changes for a while. And while racke's
>> approach is a bit "revolutionary" it takes all the knowledge from IC5
>> and moves it toward a modern perl infrastructure for e-commerce.
> I think David feels like your throwing away *his* knowhow, and the time and money he has put towards ideas and concepts in the tech he built around IC.

Knowhow is something that needs to be maintained and extended over time, things are changing. IC 5.x knowhow is still valuable for those with
existing sites.

> I understand how he feels. However, If Perusion, Peter, or End Point aren't freaking out about it, then I would rely on what Peter said, and that there will be a path of some sort for all of us.
> I'm sure there were a couple IRC meetings, and everyone decided this was best. I think David (and I) were just taken aback by the way that Racke phrased it - as I was too a bit freaked out because I am in the midst of several large projects with the type of clients that are with you for life. The thought that I pour tons of time and money into their projects and have custom code built right now and for the next 2 years only to know I am going to have to learn something new and rewrite everything - free of charge - is a bit hard to swallow.
> I'm not against rewriting large applications if there are benefits (like UTF8 everywhere), but I am put off that there is currently an unknown (unstated) upgrade path. Is my all the tech I currently have going to cost me $40k to rewrite out of my own pocket? From today till the the day IC 6 is actually ready to handle my apps, will the tons of time and 20k more I put into 5.x just have gone down the drain? Am I basically working for free right now?

The upgrade path depends on the people that want one, they are responsible for putting time / money / effort into it.
Just remember without IC 6 we would be stuck with very little changes coming into IC 5.x anyway.
The main focus of IC 6 is new projects and new people.

> I trust Mike, Racke, John, and Peter so I feel okay with leaving it at that. However I can see that the community would want more than the roadmap.
 > Maybe someone can describe what it will be like when ready. What will the code I use in the page be like to achieve [query], [if], [scratch], or what kind of rework will all my usertags will need?
> There are tons of people putting in a lot of time and money into their tech and there is a hole - not what is going to happen with IC, what is going to happen with their tech? Did we make a mistake forging new multi-year projects on IC?

I don't think that you made a mistake. There are a couple of things you can do to prepare a later update, like moving your
code (UserTags etc) into Perl modules etc.

Interchange Development Team