[ic] "Interchange 6"? Really?

Jeff Dafoe jeff at downtowndevelopmentplan.com
Thu Sep 29 15:59:27 UTC 2011

> 2. rewrite in another framework such as Magento or Spree

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the fairly lengthy lifespan of the
Interchange project compared to other similar software.  Converting your store
to the framework du jour carries a significant risk.  I remember when Mason
was all the rage and there were suggestions to convert IC's template system to
Mason.  Now, Mason looks to be all but dead and IC is still chugging along.
IC development has always been very conservative.  Racke's development
initiative is looking really good and I am sure more people will come on board
with it as it progresses.  That will naturally yield increased compatibility
between 5.x and 6.0 .

Wait and see, is probably what I am getting at.  We still have 4.8.6 running
for some catalogs here, it's not as if the old versions of IC quit working
just because newer versions are out.

Just my 4 cents,
Jeff