[ic] "Interchange 6"? Really?

Jeff Dafoe jeff at downtowndevelopmentplan.com
Thu Sep 29 18:59:48 UTC 2011

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 11:02:21 -0700, Paul Jordan wrote

> #1 We're doing a ton of work right now, knowing it will have to be redone.
> So the point in time we can do our current development in IC6, the
> better, and this depends on the next point...
>
> #2 How do you convert something large that is constantly being worked on?
> You can't. You need a bridge so they can coexist during a migration
> period otherwise you'll never have the chance to convert unless you
> pay a third party a ton of money to convert everything for you on
> short order.

I think that I consider a particular IC version as a point-in-time collection
of routines that I'll use for development.  When a client needs a feature
added, the IC version doesn't impact my ability to deliver that feature.  The
only requirement is that you have to backport security fixes and any notable
bugfixes.  I have 4.8 running for some customers and 5.7 for a couple of
others.  At some point, we'll use 6.0 for new customers, after it's had a bit
of vetting.  In your case, I think 6.0 needs that vetting before you'd be able
to make the decision that you're looking to make.

It's really an ages-old question of whether to go with something that is
available now or something else that will be soon available.  A bird in the
hand...

-Jeff