[ic] mobile version of store

Angus Rogerson arogerso at uwaterloo.ca
Thu May 10 14:48:46 UTC 2012

Hi Glenn,

We looked at that a while ago and made mobile versions of some of our search and result pages. The main difference was the general orientation of the page layout. We did this by removing some of the real estate hogging graphics and making search results tall and skinny so that users only had to scroll up and down, not sideways.

Mobile fell off our radar, and although our pages are still in production we do not appear to have them linked from anywhere.

Mobile (and accessible) are back on the radar now. Last time we had wanted to handle the difference by offering up different CSS for screen and mobile browsers. We had planned on using css (index? and float?) to lay things out differently for different browser types. We would then just serve up different CSS depending on the browser type (mobile or full screen). At the time, the state of CSS on mobile devices was not up to the task. We will be looking at that again soon, but would be interested in anyone else's ideas.

Angus

Angus Rogerson
Retail Services, University of Waterloo