[ic] Interchange6::Schema

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Sat Dec 14 08:22:55 UTC 2013

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

> I just tried to create an ic6 database as part of my table editor
> review. One thing that I noticed was that all tables are dropped
> unconditionally, producing errors all over when using PostgreSQL.
>
> That's not pretty and makes it impossible to create the schema in one
> transaction, e.g.

While I understand the annoyance, that is exactly how pg_dump does its
output as well: unconditional DROP (if -c option given), and not wrapped
in a transaction.

That doesn't mean this should necessarily behave the same way, but I don't
think it's something PostgreSQL DBAs should be surprised by either.

Having said that, if you want to work up a patch to the script that
generates the SQL, bin/interchange6-create-database, that would be great.
Perhaps a similar -c / --clean option like pg_dump has that would
include/exclude those DROP statements? I think it would be a better
default to not include any kind of DROP statements, even with IF EXISTS,
to avoid losing data by accident.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen