[ic] Is the more tag very inefficient?

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Wed Jul 31 13:55:18 UTC 2013

Quoting IC (ic at tvcables.co.uk):
> > Yeah, 209 products shouldn't hurt the performance at all. What about the
> > ITL inside query? There is usually a lot of things that can be improved.
> >
> > Regards
> > 	Racke
> >

> Hi Racke,
>
> Stripping the code in the query tag does speed things up but I still see the
> same 10-20x processing speed difference between the first page and scan
> pages, to test it I just put this in the query tag:-
>
> 	[list]
> 	      [sql-param description]<br>
>       [/list]
>       [more_list]
>       	 Matches [matches] of [match-count] shown.<BR>
>         	[more]
>       [/more_list]
>
> Query benchmark times are 0.01 to 0.02 seconds on the first page, 0.22-0.3
> seconds on the scan pages.
>
> I haven't tried to work out exactly how the more tag works, maybe Mike could
> comment, I wonder if it is returning every table row rather than just those
> needed?
>
> It would seem more efficient to try and use the sql limit if this is the
> case?

Yes, it would be more efficient. The code was written in 1997, before
standard, reliable, low-cost SQL was readily available for Linux. Many
of us have done SQL-based versions of such searches, but no one has
put in the effort to integrate it into the core.

It would be pretty easy to produce a Vend::MySQLSearch module that did that
type of thing. The hard part, of course, is making it production quality.

--
Mike Heins
Perusion -- Expert Interchange Consulting  http://www.perusion.com/

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently equipped fool. -- unknown