[ic] Shipping Survey

Andrew Baerg andrew.baerg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 21:54:25 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM, William Carr <bill at bottlenose-wine.com>wrote:

> I'm glad this came up. I was just working on this today.
>
> What to we do when different carriers offer different services that will
> not fit into our predefined, generic services?
>

> I think in the example above we will have to assume each carrier offers
> essentially the same services which may not be the case.

The idea here is not that each carrier offers the same service, but that
the module would map the concept of a ground and express service to one of
the carrier's modes to create sane defaults.

$shipment->all_services is used to expose all of the service options for a
given carrier, from/to address, etc.

> In interchange we usually do something like:
>
> UserTag ship_cost
> blah, blah, bah
>
> shipping.asc:
> f [ship_cost mode=GROUND_HOME_DELIVERY]
>
> Today I messed around with an approach like so:
> shipping.asc:
> f [ship_cost carrier=FexEx service=ground]
>
> In my first example we have to assume each carrier's service (or mode) has
> a unique name of pass in a carrier parameter.

I would recommend against doing this since you cannot guarantee uniqueness
across carriers. Carrier + Service should always be used.

> In the later example we'd have to limit the generic services to the once
> provided by all the carriers used.

As stated above., I would envision that all carriers would have the generic
services mapped to something by default.

Andrew