[ic] Shipping Survey

William Carr bill at bottlenose-wine.com
Mon Sep 2 15:03:31 UTC 2013

On Sep 2, 2013, at 4:47 AM, "Stefan Hornburg (Racke)" <racke at linuxia.de> wrote:

> We are currently working on Interchange 6 and shipping would be a major component of that.
> Shipping in Interchange 5 can be quite scary, especially if you try to debug Vend::Ship.
> The plan is to break it into smaller pieces and seperate modules, e.g. using the
> hook feature. Also to using modules from CPAN / writing modules for CPAN outside of
> the Interchange core helps the general Perl community and us to have a manageable
> eCommerce software.
>
> It would be nice to know which shipping modules / features you use in Interchange 5
> and what things you want to like to improve.
>
> Also if someone is interested in the topic and wants to deliver a presentation
> or join a discussion on our conference, we would really appreciate it.
We run about at 100 or so sites using Interchange. We have set it up so that there is a default set of settings, pages, tables, etc. We may override these defaults at the catalog level if we wish. In this way we can get a site up and running quickly (without just copying and pasting our latest greatest site) and still have the ability to customize each site as much as we want. For example each site shares the same results page but we could easily create a custom results page at the catalog level if needed. This enables us to keep the stuff we have to write and maintain (code, pages, markup, etc.) at a minimum.

Sorry for the rambling setup. We would like to do this with shipping. We would like to have some notion of default shipping settings that are applied to each catalog with the opportunity to override those settings or do other customizations on a per catalog level if needed. Currently each catalog has its own shipping setup even though the vast majority of those catalogs use very similar setups.

Also, we have been using Shipment.pm quite frequently. It does a nice job of getting rates from various carriers (UPS, FedEx, etc.). We will soon be using it for scheduling shipments and produce shipping labels.

-Bill Carr