[ic] /etc/report in HTML

Paul Jordan paul at gishnetwork.com
Sun Sep 29 14:17:10 UTC 2013

> Does anyone has a /etc/report file example to generate a email in html
> format, the idea is to include in it  product and/or barcode images
>
> reagrds
> Salvador Caballe

Salvador, I went a different route. I run a JOB ever X minutes that runs a
query looking for a product that has no corresponding email sent. With this,
I send out all sorts of stuff.

The benefit of doing it this way is that if something happens, say for
example the user input their email incorrectly, you can easily reissue the
email(s) to them. Try running Report again - forgetaboutit.

I have a small table that tracks why the email was sent out. For example, if
it is based on an order, it records the order ID, the email content type (1
for widget documentation, 2 for related accessories, you get the idea), the
email address it was sent to, and a status. If the user says they didn't get
the email, I just clear the status field and it will resend.

The JOB runs a simple query to look for this circumstance and sends an html
email using the [email] tag. Depedning on how many JOBS you have or how
complex your Job is, you can run this once a minute if you want. Even more
frequent. Generally, users expect to receive all relevant emails from a
purchase within a few minutes, so there is time.

Messing with a one-timer like Report has downsides.

Paul