[ic] Need help implementing insurance calculation.

Richard Templet richard at endpoint.com
Mon Feb 17 22:23:00 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 01:46:25PM -0600, David Etheredge wrote:
> Most of our shipments are in the 1 to 3 pound range but vave a
> widely varying cost of $18 to $680 so that insurance becomes more
> important than the weight of the item, except in international
> shipments.
>
> For example: the basic shipment cost by priority mail in the U.S. is
> about $5.65 but insurance can increase the cost by an additional
> $8.00 so we need to be able to have an adder specifically for
> insurance. Has anyone implemented this?
>
> Any suggestions.

I'm not an expert with the shipping.asc and all it's crazy flexibility so normally I take advantage of the f option and create a usertag and have that return the shipping amount. This lets me have all of my business logic in Perl and much easier to adjust down the road as business needs change.

Example:

shipping Shipping    [subtotal noformat=1]   0   9999999 f [custom_shipping]

Hope that helps.

Richard