[ic] Proposed Patch for bcrypt Password Option

Mark Johnson mark at endpoint.com
Thu Jun 12 18:40:10 UTC 2014

Attached is a proposed patch for introducing bcrypt as an encryption
option for passwords in Vend::UserDB. You can either skip right to
reviewing the patch or continue reading for a high-level synopsis.

Please provide feedback, regarding concerns or support. I'd like to get
this committed as soon as next week.

Thanks,
Mark

Synopsis:

* Full bcrypt support
  + Requires modules Digest::Bcrypt and Crypt::Random.
  + Pads out passwords to 72-character limit of bcrypt to increase
    difficulty of brute-forcing weak passwords.
    - Optional "pepper" (highly recommended) to make padding
      pattern unique per catalog.
  + Defaults to cost of 13.

* Storage follows general guidelines of modular crypt format (MCF),
  both weaning it from the length-based cipher identification, but also
  allowing it to identify a "pre digest" against the password
  (discussed below).
  + Example storage structure:
    $2y$14$F4PQQ6QTuRFo0FBAYP1rhQIqJSTg7iHSS619fmiAOhvk5b5Ui8o6o

* Uses a "more complex than usual" approach to manage the identifier
  than the standard MCF. This complexity is used to specify which
  algorithm "pre digested" the raw password. They are as follows:

  + $2y$ - standard, default identifier. Means bcrypt processed the raw
    password directly.

  + $2s$ - s => SHA1. Indicates bcrypt process first runs the raw
    password through the SHA1 algorithm before encrypting. If you
    update passwords originally stored as SHA1 as a background process,
    the resulting bcrypt structures should all have this identifier.
    - Example storage structure:
      $2s$14$F4PQQ6QTuRFo0FBAYP1rhQIqJSTg7iHSS619fmiAOhvk5b5Ui8o6o

  + $2m$ - m => MD5. Same as $2s$ but for passwords that are originally
    stored MD5.
    - Example storage structure:
      $2m$14$iJ7kMcGiNXRvBTRBIHVrmw1Rfq224SXd0QzSsKOupop4nZTVhEotA

  + $2n$..$ - n => md5_salted encryption algorithm. '..' are the 2 salt
    characters in the original stored password, made available so that
    the "pre digest" step can accurately reproduce the salted MD5
    structure before bcrypting and comparing.
    - Example storage structure:
      $2n$jQ$14$MZjidwOjuROki9TXdJofsgp2ne2Vrm6JJtLcF+0f51mE1ncee0XZk

  + $2c$..$ - c => crypt(). Same as md5_salted, but with crypt()
    instead.
    - Example storage structure:
      $2c$m4$14$QeCj3irfIJOWoWKHUtNpUQVxwXl8Sl4zRo79d7BRPQpDTSlaCTJv0

  The "pre digested" feature allows a site developer to create a
  background process for updating an existing user table with bcrypted
  passwords even if the table is already encrypted by one of the
  previously supported ciphers. Thus, in a matter of minutes to weeks
  (depending on the size of your user table and chosen bcrypt cost)
  your passwords can be fully upgraded to bcrypt without having to wait
  on the organic process "promote" allows, or having to know any of your
  users' original passwords.

* New routine construct_bcrypt() in Vend::UserDB. Takes a single hash
  ref argument with keys "password", "type" (optional), and "profile"
  (optional). Returns a properly-formatted bcrypt structure suitable
  for being stored in the password field of the user table of interest.

  Anticipated usage scenario would be for a developer with an already
  encrypted user table (sha1, md5, md5_salted, or crypt) to create an
  Interchange job that slurps in all the encrypted passwords, passes
  them along with the type of encryption that created them (described
  below), and gets in return the appropriate bcrypt structure
  reflecting that original encryption type to write back to the user
  table's password field.

  + If "type" is left off, assumes code is encrypting against the raw
    password. Returns structure with identifier $2y$. Otherwise, "type"
    is any of the supported Interchange encryption options:

    - sha1 (identifier returned is $2s$)
    - md5 (identifier returned is $2m$)
    - md5_salted (identifier returned is $2n$..$)
    - crypt (identifier returned is $2c$..$)

  + If "profile" is left off, uses "default" profile, which is
    typically the definition for the userdb table. Common other profile
    is "ui", which defines the access table for the admin.

  Whatever profile is being used, it must be set to use bcrypt. If it's
  set to anything other than bcrypt, the routine dies with an error.

  + Example usage: if my "ui" profile is configured with "crypt" (as it
    is by default), I have crypt() passwords in the access table:

    UserDB  ui  crypt 1

    I first change and promote to bcrypt by replacing the above with:

    UserDB  ui  promote 1
    UserDB  ui  bcrypt  1
    UserDB  ui  bcrypt_pepper  {some reasonably long random string}

    (remember to restart)

    Then, rather than wait for every user to eventually log in, I run
    all my crypt passwords through construct_bcrypt(). If I have
    cWNLm21WqgOKU, e.g.:

    my $bcrypt_password = Vend::UserDB::construct_bcrypt(
        {
            password => 'cWNLm21WqgOKU',
            type => 'crypt',
            profile => 'ui',
        }
    )

    and $bcrypt_password now holds something like:
    $2c$cW$14$QeCj3irfIJOWoWKHUtNpUQVxwXl8Sl4zRo79d7BRPQpDTSlaCTJv0

    which can directly overwrite cWNLm21WqgOKU in the password field.

* "promote" flag has been expanded to recognize intra-bcrypt config
  changes between the cost of a stored password and the current cost
  being used for encryption. E.g., if the current cost setting for
  bcrypt is 14, but the storage structure indicates $2y$13$..., promote
  catches that and updates the password in the database to the
  calculated structure for cost 14.