[ic] New project site underway @ interchangecommerce.org

Gert van der Spoel gert at 3edge.com
Sun Oct 26 11:18:25 UTC 2014

> On Fri, 24 Oct 2014, Gert van der Spoel wrote:

>> I'd not say goodbye to icdevgroup.org domain though, at least for a
>> while and also keep e-mail addresses as @icdevgroup.org for now (where
>> relevant). But once interchangecommerce.org is ready for a public
>> announcement then to alias icdevgroup.org to the new site.

> Oh, definitely we would want to keep icdevgroup.org around for many years
since there are lots of links to it out in the wild. I think it would be
cleaned to have it just forward mail and redirect web traffic, but if
needed, it could continue performing some functions directly too. We need to
see what the Interchange core team consensus is.

> Another thing I've been thinking of is this: Back when the Interchange
development group started, I and at least some others thought of Interchange
as a full web application server platform, which happened to be good at
ecommerce. We used it for non-commerce applications too.

I was actually afraid to mention this point. ;) To me it also looks (from
the sidelines) that IC6 is really focusing on ecommerce. And yes with IC in
the days I was joining in the discussions we were looking at it as a full
application server, but 'commercially' I think it does make it harder to
'sell' ... So with the launch of IC6 I suppose the website should really
reflect the ecommerce side of it. And it does make the playing field more
clear on who you're competing with.

> But today Interchange 6 is building on the shoulders of giants in the Perl
world (Dancer, Plack/PSGI, DBIx::Class, etc.), and Interchange really is
heading back to its roots of being focused on ecommerce built on top of
other projects. So the new domain name better reflects what Interchange has
always mostly been about, and what its continuing reason for existence is.