[ic] Strap template slow

Frank Reitzenstein frank at aussievitamin.com
Tue Dec 29 14:46:54 UTC 2015

S. Caballe wrote:
> On 29/12/15 10:53, Frank Reitzenstein wrote:
>> Frank Reitzenstein wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Salvador. I have tried to speed up my strap store not yet
>>> released
>>> in recent weeks. I have links comparing yours with mine at GTMetrix.
>>> Note that I have a lot more images than the original and yet it is
>>> giving me a page size of about 270KB but yours is around 400KB.
>>>
>>> You never mentioned that?
>>>
>>> If you actually do this yourself at GT Metrix (and check out all the
>>> competitors plus google and don't forget google mobile friendly) and
>>> follow all the advice you will see suggestions on how you can speed it
>>> up. I have already followed some of these.
>>>
>>> http://203.59.28.211/strap/astroradio/Latest%20Performance%20Report%20for:%20https:_www.astroradio.com_%20|%20GTmetrix.html
>>>

>>> http://203.59.28.211/strap/kenyan-curios/Latest%20Performance%20Report%20for:%20https:_www.kenyan-curios.com_%20|%20GTmetrix.html
>>>

>>> I don't get 100%, but I spent a long time trying to address all issues.
>>>
>>> Note that my image at the top are degraded in quality, compressed and
>>> (this is experimental) hosted on Flickr in place of CDN. However I also
>>> eventually got a free CDN to work.
>>>
>>> https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5679/23495030890_de5200a9eb_m.jpg
>>>
>>> Since doing that I signed up at free Swarm CDN. You can see their
>>> script
>>> at the top of the source on every page.
>>>
>>> <script>
>>>    var swarmcdnkey = "608b1630-6d0d-4977-8458-c282e9a8af28";
>>>    var swarmimagescan = true;
>>> </script>
>>> <script src="//assets.swarmcdn.com/swarmdetect.js"></script>
>>>
>>> You have to sign up and get a key. From memory both the flickr pics and
>>> swarm cdn made a large difference.
>>>
>>> What else have I done?
>>>
>>> I used perl GD::Image to find the dimensions of all my images. I
>>> wrote a
>>> perl script to download my products file via ftp, locate the images,
>>> download them and write down the 4 image and thumb dimensions in
>>> products.txt (I have a lot of spare columns).
>>>
>>> Now wherever images are displayed anywhere, I make sure that the image
>>> has alt text (the product description) and also the height and width
>>> which speeds browser rendering.
>>>
>>> I also have apache2.conf.dynamic and apache2.conf.static.
>>>
>>> Now I have a master batch file which processes my data. So the first
>>> thing it does is copies apache2.conf.dynamic to apache2.conf then
>>> service apache2 restart.
>>>
>>> Then it creates static pages. So all the arduous routes from the left
>>> hand menu to the groups pages and then the product (bar the flypage)
>>> are
>>> static (using LWP::Simple). The same is done for the brands and
>>> selected
>>> files like index.html and brands.html.
>>>
>>> I plan to do more, but I want to go live on three sites first.
>>>

>> You may be able to follow the broken links here:
>>
>> http://203.59.28.211/strap/astroradio/
>> http://203.59.28.211/strap/kenyan-curios/

>  Thanks for your comments and suggestions
>
> Salvador

Welcome Salvador.

Interchange is a lot of hard work. We have 8000 items all on each of
three sites and I pack and answer the phone too.

Now we have returned to the old Departments, Groups and Brands type
navigation as we have suffered under google. They say that google likes
structure.

Anyway by optimizing as much as I could, I am now getting a reasonable
report from all those speed testing sites. You may have to sacrifice
content to get it down to our 2.7 seconds. This is the main reason I am
upgrading, hoping it will increase sales. If that happens I will report
back.

Good luck.

Regards,

Frank Reitzenstein