[ic] Correcting the products database

Gort IC icgort33 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 06:10:57 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 5:47 AM, David Etheredge <David_e at charter.net> wrote:
> It almost did the job. I got an error "products not a valid database ...
> failed". The cart would not load.
>
> However, it built a table called "New_products". I deleted the
> .new_products.sql, replaced the original products.sql and .products.sql,
> then restarted again. This time it came up with an empty products database
> and I imported the updated version.

Understand that the trigger for IC to repopulate a table is to remove
.products.sql and restart the catalog:
su -s /bin/bash interch -c '/usr/local/interchange/bin/interchange
-reconfig catalogname'

If .products.sql exists and the catalog is restarted IC will not
rebuild the table.

So if your products.txt file is in the correct format and you remove
.products.sql and restart then IC will wipe the products table and
repopulate based on the content of products.txt

If after restarting the .products.sql file is not automatically
rebuilt then it usually means that either the format of products.txt
is not right or the permissions on the file are incorrect.

So remove .products.sql and restart. If the data isn't imported then
check the format of products.txt

It generally should be TAB delimited and the first row must have the
correct column names.

Also the sku's must be unique or IC will stop on that row and usually
displays an error in the error_log file.

Once you get that working know that you can add extra columns at the
end of the first column row and IC will add these fields to the
database table also.

Also little reminder that users of this list prefer replies not to be
top posted ;-)