[ic] Easier way to install CPAN module dependencies

Mike Heins mike at duxmail.com
Thu Jul 7 01:42:46 UTC 2016

Quoting Peter (peter at pajamian.dhs.org):
> On 07/07/16 10:48, Josh Lavin wrote:
> > One is how to get all the CPAN modules installed. Typically this is done
> > with Bundle::Interchange. `make install` will even attempt this
> > installtion for you, but it is pretty cumbersome, in today's world of
> > great tools like "cpanm".
> >
> > A more modern way to get this done would be to use cpanfile or Carton,
> > or even Makefile.PL and then instruct users to simply run
> >     `cpanm --installdeps .`
> > (and of course, let them know they should install cpanm first, which is
> > the popular choice for CPAN installs today).
>
> There should be a way to use make or cpanm to install the additional
> kitchensink modules as well if we're going to recommend this route.

Is there any reason we shouldn't be able to just do an extension to
the existing interrogation, look for cpanm in the executable chain, then
make the appropriate decision on running "perl Makefile.PL"?

It's not like we have to account for Windows or any other OS. It's all
*nix of some sort or another.

--
Mike Heins
End Point -- Expert Internet Consulting    http://www.endpoint.com/

The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and
dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if
it had nothing else in the universe to do. -- Galileo