[ic] flypage / IC efficiency?

Josh Lavin jlavin at endpoint.com
Fri Sep 16 23:55:37 UTC 2016

Quoting IC (ic at tvcables.co.uk):

> I've noticed that IC pages take much longer to render than similar
> oscommerce pages on the same server, looking at the standard flypage code it
> seems to run an sql query on every item or item-field tag, is this correct?
>
> On some of our flypages we call the item-field tag a lot of times, wouldn't
> it be more efficient to have a single query tag with select * from products
> where sku = 'somesku' then use sql-param down the page?

Yes, [item-field] does a database lookup, it seems.

I just tried using [item-param] and it doesn't work, as only the "code"
is populated with the item SKU.

Usually since flypage is only looking up a certain number of fields, and
not doing complex queries, the performance has been sufficient. (As
compared to something like a category results page.)

But you're right, something like the [query] tag would be more
efficient. You could also consider using [timed-build] on your flypage.

Patches to Strap demo flypage.html are always welcome :-)

--
Josh Lavin
End Point Corporation