[ic] [interchange] Fix potential "use of uninitialized value" if called during startup

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Wed Jul 12 16:52:35 UTC 2017

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017, David Christensen wrote:

> Have we reached any consensus on increasing the minimum perl version?
> It sounds like opinions were fairly mixed here, with some in favor and
> some against.

I think our default move should be to increase the minimum perl version
because the older versions are not supported by the Perl maintainers nor
by any of the current major server operating systems.

Merely because Interchange is in maintenance mode does not mean that we
should leave it stuck in the distant past such that contributing to it
requires extensive historical knowledge of what features were supported in
10+ year old versions of Perl.

I asked for those who opposed increasing the minimum version to provide
evidence of specific cases where this would cause real active users
hardship, but we have not seen any replies so far.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation