[ic] Non Interchange Sites in the Hall of Fame?

David Christensen david at endpoint.com
Fri Oct 20 15:16:58 UTC 2017

> On Oct 19, 2017, at 2:49 PM, Sam Batschelet <samb at endpoint.com> wrote:
>

> On 10/19/2017 02:33 PM, Rogerson, Angus wrote:

>>> They would have been running Interchange at the time they were added to
>>> the hall of fame and then later switched to another platform.
>> This comment comes at a good time for our store. New management wants to re-vamp our webstore. We have been running interchange for years, and I have been avoiding upgrading to 5.10 in the hopes that 6.0 would be worth the wait. I went hunting and found a few repos on github, but they do not appear to very active:
>> https://github.com/interchange/Flowers - Dec 31, 2014
>> https://github.com/interchange/Interchange6 - May 23, 2016
>> https://github.com/interchange/Interchange6-Demo-Shop - Mar 29, 2017
>> I am getting pressure to jump ship to a shiny new PHP system.
>> Sadly google searches for "open source shopping carts" produces many Top N Open Source Shopping Carts lists, none of which mention interchange.
>> Could someone involved in IC6 comment on the status of the project and possibly update http://www.icdevgroup.org/i/dev/roadmap. Am I missing a more active repo? Are there any plans for a 'release'? Is there a demo store like the 5.x demo store on icdevgroup.org anywhere?
>
> Angus,
>
> RE: IC6 Although the code base exists and could be extended/used it would involve a fairly good amount of time for the developer to get up to speed on the core technologies. These include Dancer2, DBIx::Class and Template::Flute. The best example of a live demo that we have is the https://perl.dance <https://perl.dance/> website. So in short what you see is pretty much the core of things I would add.
>
> https://github.com/interchange/interchange6-schema <https://github.com/interchange/interchange6-schema>
> https://github.com/interchange/Dancer2-Plugin-Interchange6 <https://github.com/interchange/Dancer2-Plugin-Interchange6>
> https://github.com/interchange/Dancer2-Plugin-TemplateFlute <https://github.com/interchange/Dancer2-Plugin-TemplateFlute>
> https://github.com/interchange/Perl-Dancer-Conference <https://github.com/interchange/Perl-Dancer-Conference>
>
> As you can see development has stalled mainly due to the fact that it has not been strongly embraced by the community more or less because because Interchange 5 still works. Saying that if you were willing to put in the time to further development and learn the ecosystem I know that I and I am sure others would assist in your efforts. But this will not be a simple project. Your efforts would probably be best served by updating to 5.10+git. But if you decide to take the road less traveled support does exist and you would be moving the community members towards a nice Perl cart rather then some over-hyped PHP *cough* solution. That is the state of things from my end SysPete, racke, others? may have additional input.
>
> Best,
> [...]

Additionally, most of the “shiny” comes from the front-end interface to the site, which is really independent from the backend system in place.  We have made any number of site transitions to fresher-looking front-ends than the standard demo store, including responsive designs with modern JS front-end interfaces.  Depending on your site’s pricing rules and business complexity, there may be a fair amount involved with the transition to another platform, when a redesign might be sufficient.

Best,

David
--
David Christensen