MiniVend Akopia Services

Re: rpms

Hi,

I would have to agree with Patrick. As written yesterday, I run a 386 with
MV: works great, great response and search-marks.

Again, the bottleneck is more likely the user's connection, not your server,
if setup correctly: be it a 386.

-Gideon

<pschoonveld@venux.net>     ******

> Ok, you're dumb.
>
> i386 in terms of linux means that it is optimized at most for i386. That
> means it runs on all x86 processors since the 386. Because, although you
> may not know this, processors haven't evolved all that much since the
> 386. The are still 32 bit, CISC, although some have RISC cores, amoung
> other things.
>
> And that is a poor example 8-track and DVD. Its more like buying a cd
> player without skip protection. The media is still the same, you might
> just encounter some problems.
>
> Plus, if you have a 486 25mhz, it makes a nice little gateway/web server
> using linux or xBSD.
>
> Not too mention Y2K is crap. Everyone is freaking out about a lot of
> nothing. Most 486's and even many 386's are Y2K compliant. If not,
> motherboards are cheap from compgeeks.com or ebay.
>
> So, time to do a little research next time before you believe everything
> microsoft and Y2K fire and brimstone ministers preach.
>

> > mike wrote:
> >
> >   One question, when you wanted to play a DVD, did you buy an 8-track
> > tape player?
> >   I would highly suggest not using i386 as a hardware platform for
> > minivend.  You might get it set up, you may even get it on the net,
> > but the first time your system breaks 50 hits/sec or after your chip
> > sees a year 2000 transaction, you're screwed.
> >
> > Vandy
> > (AKA Jedi Web-Master Drung on Gin)
> >
> > You can pick up a good ol' pentium for about 200 in the paper here in
> > the US.  Why not give a Y2K compliant computer with enough power to
> > run the site well a chance?

Search for: Match: Format: Sort by: