MiniVend Akopia Services

Re: rpms

Ok, you're dumb.

i386 in terms of linux means that it is optimized at most for i386. That
means it runs on all x86 processors since the 386. Because, although you
may not know this, processors haven't evolved all that much since the
386. The are still 32 bit, CISC, although some have RISC cores, amoung
other things.

And that is a poor example 8-track and DVD. Its more like buying a cd
player without skip protection. The media is still the same, you might
just encounter some problems.

Plus, if you have a 486 25mhz, it makes a nice little gateway/web server
using linux or xBSD.

Not too mention Y2K is crap. Everyone is freaking out about a lot of
nothing. Most 486's and even many 386's are Y2K compliant. If not,
motherboards are cheap from compgeeks.com or ebay.

So, time to do a little research next time before you believe everything
microsoft and Y2K fire and brimstone ministers preach.

> mike wrote:
>
>   One question, when you wanted to play a DVD, did you buy an 8-track
> tape player?
>   I would highly suggest not using i386 as a hardware platform for
> minivend.  You might get it set up, you may even get it on the net,
> but the first time your system breaks 50 hits/sec or after your chip
> sees a year 2000 transaction, you're screwed.
>
> Vandy
> (AKA Jedi Web-Master Drung on Gin)
>
> You can pick up a good ol' pentium for about 200 in the paper here in
> the US.  Why not give a Y2K compliant computer with enough power to
> run the site well a chance?

Search for: Match: Format: Sort by: