MiniVend Akopia Services

Re: shipping.asc - criterion with multiple values

Gaelyne,

Point well made.  There are of course several forcing functions; one being
that Mike wants/needs to control the main distribution; another being that
there are a goodly number of MiniVend "Consultants" that earn their way in
life by providing what you want for free; and still another being the
reluctance of some folks who feel their contribution would be perhaps
critiqued for its merits or lack thereof; and finally the built in
reluctance many of us have to give, though we are generally first in line
for the getting.

In the main, Mike does give credit to "many" contributors to the MiniVend
project, so clearly there are givers, and probably enough to implement what
you suggest.  So what's lacking?  Sanctioning by Mike?  Web space?
Folks to review contributions to insure they do what they say they do (not
in my estimation a small thing), and to determine in which release(s) the
contribution will correctly function.  What about the contribution which
requires numerous changes in numerous modules, which has only been tested
for a single release?

I gather that there are more folks than myself that don't know Perl and who
would therefore have a potentially difficult time blending changes into
whatever release we are currently using.  But the real fun begins when Mike
releases a new version, so we have to try to blend our changes into a new
release with enough changes to make it challenging even for a Perl
programmer.

Of course, were you sitting here with me discussing the various
considerations involved in the undertaking you suggest, you could rightly
argue that contributions should be make available for those that have both
the skills and willingness to use them; and I would agree.  I might even
support your argument by suggesting that the original contributor assume the
responsibility for maintaining both current and future releases of their
contribution to insure that they coincide with future MiniVend releases.
But of course that would put an abrupt end to most contributions if anything
would.

What about a middle of the road possibility?  Suppose contributions be
required to be self contained such that they would continue to operate from
MiniVend release to MiniVend release without change.  This would allow
credit to be given to the contributor, but which could be optional for those
that would like no such credit.  And then as for the enhancements requiring
changes throughout MiniVend; submit them to Mike for consideration.  If he
liked the contribution, then he could choose to blend such contribution(s)
in with the basic MiniVend product as he deemed appropriate, thus
eliminating the need to redo contributor enhancements when a new release
arrives.  The more likely situation is that a company "can't" implement the
next new release because of the mountain of enhancements they have made to a
prior release.  Even major corporations fall into this trap.

If your suggestion brings forth a brigade of contributors, and if Mike
supports such an undertaking, I would be happy to provide web space.  By why
of suggestion, we could use MiniVend to catalog these contributions, and
even implement them within subcatalogs so that folks could see what a
contribution provided before choosing to download and implement.
Unfortunately, while I can contribute the web space, my expertise with
MiniVend is pretty much limited to installation and is therefore a long way
from being able to implement such a catalog.  Anyway, it really should most
appropriately be on the MiniVend site.

Regards,

Phil Welch