Akopia Akopia Services

Fw: [mv] minivend--interchange documentation

******    message to minivend-users from "birgitt" <birgitt@cais.com>     ******

> > ******    message to minivend-users from "Barry Treahy, Jr." <Treahy@mmaz.com>     ******
> >
> > Hi Joachim,

[del]

> > As one who is still learning the tip of the MV iceberg, taking examples from the MV documentation as
> > a template for a solution to a problem rarely produces positive results the first, second or third
> > time.  There is a lot of trial and error in the process.
> >
> > A simple example are tags that must be used only within the context of other tags as well as the
> > proverbial [IF] tags with comparison statements

> > ..... there are a lot of questions posted on this list regarding something as
> > basic as the correct syntax for an [IF] tag and how to perform a comparison.  It almost (I hate
> > absolute declaratives though I believe it might be appropriate here) never fails that the helps
> > posted are varied and and sometimes faulty themselves because it would appear that there is no
> > clear, definitively correct syntax that works 100% of the time.
> >
> > Please do not take this as a bitch or complaint, I'm grateful for the MV system, but most would
> > agree that documentation for just about any system can always use improvement and MV is no
> > exception.

Hi Barry,

 your sentiments repeat what has been discussed earlier (a year or two ?) on the doc mailing list.
 There was a clear wish of documenting the tag syntax complete, consistent with inlcusion of  their
 usage in context of various contingencies. I am just mentioning it again, because I hope that Greg
 Cook  will consider those wishes. If that doesn't happen I would consider Mike's work ...I don't find
the right English expression..."diminished" in what it could be. And I don't think that Mike's work
deserves that.

 I wouldn't take  those remarks voiced over the years by some people on this list as complaint or
criticism at all, if I were Mike. Contrary it's a way of saying: "Hey, your MV system is terrific, I wished
we could get as good  a reference manual with it, as we have it for other mark up languages."

That's a way of  flattering and showing respect. The alternative would be to ignore it. That' s not
what happened. People even said in public several times that they would gladly pay for more and
other kind of documents.

Birgitt