Akopia Akopia Services

Re: [mv] How can I get order-quantity to appear on a search list?

******    message to minivend-users from cfm@maine.com     ******

On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 06:16:42PM +0000, Victor Churchill wrote:
> ******    message to minivend-users from Victor Churchill <jvictor@pobox.co.uk>     ******
>
> Hi,
> In my application each item that is drawn form the search list is given a
> text input box so that the user can order several items from one page:
> one of this, two of that, one of the otrher, then hit the Order! button.
> But... after viewing the basket if they want ot come back to order some
> more, I am not able to put the currently-ordered quantities as values
> into the text input boxes.
> In the doc, we have:
> "Results page ... Search list ... NOTE: those that reference the shopping
> cart do not apply, i.e. [item-quantity], [item-modifier ...] and friends.
> "
> I don't know why this should be but I am sure there is a good reason for
> it. My query is Is there a way that I can get this information onto the
> search page so that people can see what they have already ordered while
> they see what else they want from the page?

You can either search the items in the basket for each item returned by the
search page OR you can turn the search page into a basket page.  The
former approach gets confusing: say they already have 3 of a particular
item in the basket.  Does it show 3?  or if they put in 1 does that mean
they want 1 more or only one.  If they have already got three and
it shows three and they submit that do they get six?  How do you make
that clear?  In the cases where we do that we never add to those items
in the basket, only replace quantities.

Modifying the basket is probably easier, at least where there is
a limited item count.  Put all the items from your search into the
basket; use mv_order_item and mv_order_quantity.  Items in the basket
and in search will show twice; you might use perl to remove any items
in the basket from search results.  I don't know how to do that without
perl.

--

Christopher F. Miller, Publisher                             cfm@maine.com
MaineStreet Communications, Inc         208 Portland Road, Gray, ME  04039