Akopia Akopia Services

Re: [mv] m3.14 - Couldn't spawn - bad robots - firewall

******    message to minivend-users from "kyle@invisio.com" <kyle@invisio.com>     ******

Ryan,

I set up Minivend (3.12) to use ipfw ( on FreeBSD ) to block
according to Minivend default ( >50 accesses with no 30 sec
delay between these could be adjusted though) and it has
been working great.

The only trick, was that I had to install sudo to give Minivend
permission to issue the ipfw command (a root suid script for
some reason would not do it)

It has not (so far) blocked any "normal" bots, I have checked
the blocks via nslookup and compared them to access logs
to find the browser information and found most blocks are
being put up when someone uses one of those
automated-offline-web-page-caching-server-crashing
pieces of software or one of those "projects" which claims
they are indexing the entire Internet.

If you want further details on how I set it up, you can contact me off list.

Latter,
Kyle (KC)

-
email with 'UNSUBSCRIBE minivend-users' in the body to Majordomo@minivend.com.