Interchange Developer Resource

[ic] AOL losing session data.

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 05:14:43PM -0700, Dan Browning wrote:
> At 07:06 PM 8/26/2002 -0500, you wrote:

> >site, and

> >> I would also add that it is a solvable problem, as AOL wont cache unique
> >> URLs (mv_pc=..., etc.).
> >
> >I wish it were this easy. They are coming in via a URL which includes
> >the mv_pc= variable.
> >http://www.purebio.com/cbin/purebio?mv_pc=0101cws
> >
> >It might be an issue with post variables in the URL.
> >I've checked it with AOL v.7 but haven't been able to get a hold of any
> >end users who know which version they are using.
>
> Aha, I see what you mean.  You don't get the benefit of the random mv_pc
> since you are using it to track affiliates.  Yes, I am a Master Champion
> Black Belt in the ancient art of "The Obvious".  If I were you, I'd look
> into using another variable for the affiliate tracking or for the unique
> URL (perhaps forcing id=? even if they do have cookies enabled).

There are lots of ways to do it.  If they are coming from known sites
and you note that as part of your registration process for affiliates,
then you can just use the referer.  You can drop them into a page
something like /referer?mv_arg=account if that works with your security
model.  They can go to a page /account that sets them up.  Just don't
count on referer for any sort of security.

Regardless, that doesn't really explain why they are not getting credit,
cached or not.  If a shopper is coming in via an affiliate, they won't
have a session yet, but will establish one when they arrive.  It should
not matter if the referring page is static or cached.

If the referer already has an mv_pc variable, then it sounds like your
affiliate is sending them to a bookmark.  That's asking for trouble.