3.3. Salestax "multi" -- VAT taxing
If the SalesTax directive is set to "multi", then the type of tax is read from the country table. To see the tax type in force for the UK, you can place in a page:
[data table=country col=tax key="UK"].
NOTE: We mention the "country" table above. In actual practice, most everything is configurable for variable name and field name via different Variable settings. They are:
MV_COUNTRY_TABLE Table for country info (default "country") MV_COUNTRY_FIELD Form field determining country (default "country") MV_COUNTRY_TAX_FIELD Table column for country-wide tax (default "tax") MV_STATE_TABLE Table for state/province info (default "state") MV_STATE_FIELD Form field determining state/province (default "state") MV_STATE_TAX_FIELD Table column for state-wide tax (default "tax") MV_TAX_TYPE_FIELD Table column enumerating tax types (default "tax_type") MV_TAX_CATEGORY_FIELD Table column for product type (default tax_category)
Below, we refer to the tables, columns, and fields by their default names.
The first lookup is done in table country based on the user input of country (i.e. [value country]). The tax field is read and one of the following is done:
1. If no string is found, tax returns 0.
2. If string "simple:XX" is found, uses [fly-tax] with the area specifed in XX.
3. If string "state" is found, does a re-lookup with
select tax from state where country = country and state = state
and value is applied as below.
4. If just digits are found, rate applied directly -- i.e. "0.05"
5. If N.NN% is found, applied as percentage.
6. If category = N.NN%, default = N.NN% is found, the tax_category field in the products table is used to determine tax basis. If no tax_category is found for the product, default rate is used.
This product data
sku price tax_category os28003 10.00 tools os28004 20.00 food
with this country and state data:
code name tax US U.S.A. state JP Japan tools=10%, default=15% code country state name tax 0001 US IL Illinois 6.5% 0002 US OH Ohio default = 5.5%, food = 1% 0003 US AZ Arizona
Will yield tax for one each of os28003 and os28004 of:
Japan $4.00 US/IL $1.95 US/OH $0.75 US/AZ $0.00