[ic] subtotal changing with total

Sim Zacks Szacks@co.wayne.mi.us
Mon, 06 Nov 2000 09:58:49 -0500

I have added code to my basket page to apply a discount and change the total cost using the following code:

    [if type=explicit compare="[calc][subtotal noformat=1] >= 350[/calc]"]
         [discount ENTIRE_ORDER]$s - 150[/discount]

The problem is it changes the subtotal also. I would like the subtotal to stay the same, that being the sum of all the items purchased. The problem I am having is the after the discount is applied the subtotal might be less then the discount price, so when the user goes back to the basket page it recalculates the discount and decides it doesn't apply so it takes it away. The next time they come to the page the subtotal is once again above the discount price so it applies the discount.

Is there a way to change the total cost without changing the subtotal?
Currently I am handling this in the basket. Would it be better to handle this on the checkout page? I would prefer the basket,  so the user can see what discounts he has before going to the checkout page, but I can wrote code to make it look like the discount is on the basket and in reality take it off on the checkout page. That just seems like a lot of extra work.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated

Sim