[ic] install: Couldn't change to (...)/catalogs: Permission denied

Cameron B. Prince cameron@akopia.com
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:04:21 -0500

Check your command:

Should be:

chown -R interch:interch

chmod -R interch:interch

I generally make the directories 700, but since you're on a test system,
make them 755...

Good luck,

-----Original Message-----
From: interchange-users-admin@minivend.com
[mailto:interchange-users-admin@minivend.com]On Behalf Of
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 3:58 PM
To: interchange-users@minivend.com
Subject: Re: [ic] install: Couldn't change to (...)/catalogs: Permission

>     WOOOOO HORSEY!!!!!!!   STOP RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!!
>     change those permissions, from 0777 0770 ( no need to make them
> world writable )

Don't worry, it's a a webserver in a LAN, no way to access it from
the outside, it`s just my testing system;-)

>     In linux create the interch user with a simple;
> adduser interch -d /web/cat/dir
>     where /web/cat/dir is the directory that the catalog files will be
> placed.   This will create a user and group  interch
> Then make sure you chown -R interch:interch /web/cat/dir  and the
> /usr/local/interchange.
>     After that you should be good to go.

that is more or less what I already did in first place (my last email
was just "trying EVERYTHING to make it work").

OK, but I gave it another try:
I deleted all users and groups and related files.
I started again with ./configure etc etc.

but again, when I did the restart I got:

bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied
Killing Interchange server 13788 with TERM
Low traffic settings.
Calling UI....
...UI is loaded....
Interchange V4.5.7
Configuring catalog construct...
Couldn't change to /home/name/data/interchange/catalogs:
Permission denied

construct: error in configuration. Skipping.
construct: config error -- Couldn't change to
/home/name/data/interchange/catalogs: Permission denied.
Interchange server started in INET and UNIX mode(s) (process id

and (before you ask), all directories are "chmod -R interch:interch":

sorry, didn't work. any other ideas?

Rregards, Ralf Kotthoff

Thanks for your help.

Interchange-users mailing list