[ic] IC and Java App Servers

Dan Browning interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Dec 10 12:46:01 2001

> On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 03:25:54PM -0700, John Beima wrote:
> > G'Day Christopher,
> >

> > It may be "kooler" but you have many compatability issue
> with Java that you
> > don't have with pre-processed perl. You have to look at
> what your objective is.
> > That is to sell you clients products. Not to have the
> coolest site on the web.
> > Having 2 out of every 10 not be able to see the site looses
> MANY sales.
>
> Server side that is not an issue.
>
> My job is to help clients with **my company's** services; if
> they want
> java, we lose that job.  I've seen companies ditching what
> works for a
> java implementation and explaining it simply as a marketing
> move.  That
> is just an observation.
>
> The bigger question is down the road.  Will the next generation back
> end integration - the "glue" - be written in java?  How many java
> servlet/server variations are there?  How many in perl?
> (Does ic count?)
> If it's going to be .Net or java services, then what?  That's
> the hype,
> but the hype sells projects.

I second that.

All I do now is tell people that Interchange is based on all the latest
buzzwords: JAVA, JMX, EJB, J2EE, & ODBC.  Little do they know what I
actually mean:

JAVA (Java aint very accelerated)
JMX (Java Means Xpensive)
EJB (Enterpise Java Bites)
J2EE (Java 2x Extra Effort)
ODBC (Only Dumb-Bells Connectivity)

[Yes, these are original.  Yes, I am kidding, I actually like Java]

Dan Browning
Kavod Technologies