[ic] Europeanization of IC

Greg Cope greg@rubberplant.freeserve.co.uk
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 13:20:44 +0000

Stefan Hornburg wrote:

> Greg Cope <greg@rubberplant.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Stefan Hornburg wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello, IC users !
> > >
> > > Although IC has support for localization and other stuff that suits
> > > users allover the world, it is still a product with the main focus
> > > on the American market (at least this is what I think).
> > >
> > > My company is greatly interested to fill in the gaps for users
> > > in other countries, especially in Europe. As I'm visting Akopia with
> > > an other IC developer in my company in the near future, I would
> > > like to hear from you what do you miss from IC now in this respect.
> > >
> > > These points I will discuss there. Besides that CNS will work on
> > > this stuff even if Akopia isn't interested in it now.
> > >

> > An "pro" European improvements would be great - not saying that
> > interchange in not great ;-)
>
> I would like to compile a list of possible improvements first,
> then discuss with Akopia what to do about it.

Well an improvement would be a native (as in the US sales taxes are
native) EU "sales tax" implementation i.e TVA/VAT issues.

One big hole here is that different countries have different criteria
for which band a product is in - so this would need to be left to the
implementor (for example - the different treatment of Books in the UK
and rest of the EU)

And what of delivery charges / pan european delivery companies - they
could be incorporated ?

> A) Akopia implements it. The patch goes into CVS, most likely
>    into the development branch.

This would be the ideal.

> B) Akopia doesn't like it or would not bother to implement it
>    => either my company (CNS) or another IC hacker may
>    implement it. The patch goes first into the LINUXIA branch.

This is the best comprimise if A fails ...

Greg