[ic] hardware for Interchange

Dan B interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Mon Jul 9 19:03:00 2001

At 09:09 AM 7/8/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>   If I were making this decision, (notice the wording there ;-)
>This is a 1U box, not much room for a backup device, and I like
>backups.  I would put in a second drive, partition it for install
>archives and daily cron backups.

That's a good idea, but I'd like to weigh in as well.  I know it's pretty
far off topic, but I mention this out of the hopes that someone else will
benefit.

There are several cases where you could lose your primary drive and your
backup at once (e.g. if a blackhat rooted your box and toasted both, or
your power supply had a melt down and fried everything).  For that reason,
having off site or tape backups are beneficial.  You could setup an
encrypted SSH session to automatically backup to another box over the
Internet from cron every night.  This other box could have a tape drive
which you can take home every night.

It works better than sleep-eeze, anyway.  ;-)

Dan Browning, Cyclone Computer Systems, danb@cyclonecomputers.com