[ic] Mike - Need a little help

interchange-users@lists.akopia.com interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Tue Jul 17 20:30:00 2001

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 04:23:21PM -0700, Dan Browning wrote:
> At 03:14 PM 7/17/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> >Mike or Anyone Who Knows,
> >     I'm working with converting 8 of my existing IC stores from 4.6.5 to the
> >4.7.5 base. I've successfully done this with the first store but have a
> >couple of questions that I've been unable to resolve.
> >
> >My configuration is running on a Dell PowerEdge 1550 with Dual 933's, 1GB of
> >RAM, and RAID5 using RH 7.0, Apache, MySQL, Perl 5.6 and all Interchange
> >modules up-to-date. I currently have IC 4.6.5 installed and running fine
> >with Authorize.net.
> >
> >I want to install IC 4.7.5 on the same machine but only run one or the other
> >at any given time. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO PHASE FROM MY DEVELOPMENT SERVER
> >WHICH HAS THE IC 4.7.5 VERSION OF OUR STORE TO MY PRODUCTION SERVER FOR
> >TESTING WITH AUTHORIZE.NET.

> Sorry Robert, even after reading all that, I wasn't sure what your exact
> question was.  If you are asking about running a 4.7.x version along side a
> 4.6.x version, it is easy.  They can be run at the same time, but if you
> want to run them separately that's fine too.
>
> install 4.6.5 to /usr/local/ic4.6.5
> install 4.7.5 to /usr/local/ic4.7.5
>
> You can configure both of them in interchange.cfg with the same Catalog
> line to use
>
> Catalog         construct       /var/.../construct /cgi-bin/construct
>
> and then start them with /usr/local/ic4.6.5/bin/interchange -r and
> /usr/local/ic4.6.5/bin/interchange -r respectively.
>
> I like to use symlinks to make the starting easier:
>
> ln -s /usr/local/ic4.6.5 /usr/local/ic
>
> So that I can just change the symlink when I want to specify which version
> of ic I'm currently using, and specify the symlink (/usr/local/ic) in my
> start/stop scripts (or the init.d/... if your an RPM kind of guy).

Separate virtual hosts or separate machine will make life easier too.

It's not clear if you **want** to run from same physical directories or
not; I'd suggest not.  You don't want to carry the same session across
versions on the same site - unpredictable.

We maintain independant dev and production sites for ongoing development.
Where we cut over catalogs, we typically rename all the existing ones

mv catalog catalog3  # adjust vlinks - this maintains ongoing site
cp -aRp catalog3 catalog # set up new with new vlink ic4.catalog.com or
some such.

The old catalog3 goes on.  The new ic4 allows side by side with new
install.  Clear as mud.