[ic] Changing software

Rene Hertell interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Dec 7 20:09:01 2002

> Hi, I think this should be of great interest.
>  I've been trying for over two years to get Interchange to work
> in my virtual Unix host.  It dosn't.  I've asked for help here a
> several times,
> with the result of no response or a general hint of "read X".
> I've seen others ask for help, the results are an occasional
> hint, usually nothing.
> I've been using Solena webstore with no problems, but wanted to
> upgrade to a higher level of software.
>     My website host worked many hours trying to get Interchange
> to work, without success.  They used to run the predecessor to
> Interchange.  But after spending many hours trying to get
> Interchange to work, gave up.
>   Because of the problems I had, I finally was given a new free
> help.  My website host offered free, yes free Miva.  I checked around and
> found other hosts giving the same free deal.  Why, I don't know,
> maybe it is because Interchange is free and they are fighting back.
>   What I do know is that I and others gave up on Interchange,
> even though I consider it a great product and wished I could use
> it.  How to
> use it in my environment, which is common (virtual Unix host),
> was never explained, or even successfullly helped by redhat, interchange,
> interchange experts.
>   So it is with deep regret, I have to quit spending hours and
> hours each week trying to get Interchange to work.  I am changing
> my website
> over to Miva.

I'm have been using IC on a virtual host with no problem for a few years
now. I have installed on the same physical machine all versions from
Minivend 3.14 to the recent one with no bigger problems (the server was
running Redhat 6.2 and it was quite recent upgraded to Redhat 7.3). I just
seems that your ISP has probably an outdated Perl or something similar that
fails the installation of IC.

You mentioned that your ISP tried to install IC without luck. That sounds
for me quite strange. I would expect that an ISP should know their server-os
by heart, and know how to install this kid of software. They just have to be
sure that the server itself meets the minimum system requirements.
Unfortunately in your case it seemed that your ISP is not familiar enough to
troubleshoot install-problems that they faced with IC.

My personal opinion regarding the installation of IC from the normal
tar-file is that it installs without any problems. You just have to know the
answers for the most of the questions that the install-script asks you. That
should not be so difficult. It is true that IC has a steep learning curve,
and a lots of nice walls where to bang your head on, but that did not stop
me from using it and playing around with it. It would probably be more
better with IC, but my programming skills are not (yet) that good... :-)

One thing that you did not do was a change of ISP. That would probably have
solved your problems.

Best Regards,

Rene